The Absolutely Disgusting Reason That People Got Sick At A Waterpark In Ohio

Last week, the CDC published a report where they outlined an incident that took place at an Ohio indoor waterpark. In 2015, visitors and staff at the park reported that they had developed eye burning, nose irritation, breathing difficulties, and vomiting after visiting the park. Urine in the pool combined with chlorine and poor ventilation systems resulted in unhealthy air and water conditions, which contributed to the guests and employee’s symptoms. The CDC cautions that if you visit an indoor swimming pool and start to develop nose, eye, or respiratory problems to report it to the health department.

Key Takeaways:

  • Urine in swimming pools is one of those awkward facts of life we often ignore because it’s gross and there’s not much we can do about it
  • Finally, it goes without saying, but please, please, please try not to pee in the pool
  • When urine combines with chlorine, it forms byproducts called chloramines. The same reaction occurs when chlorine mixes with other nitrogen-containing substances, like sweat, skin cells, sunscreens, and other skincare products.

“If you visit an indoor water swimming pool and start to notice eye, nose, or respiratory irritations, the CDC recommends you report symptoms to your local health authority.”

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/why-urine-in-swimming-pools-is-so-bad-for-your-health/

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This